2016 - Present
- Lead front-end developer for the 4D Data Nucleome Portal, which runs a single-page application (see portfolio).
- Created and iterated on variety of views and overall front-end design in React.js.
- Worked with PostgreSQL as a master canonical database and ElasticSearch for searching and as a fast-read cache.
- Utilized ElasticSearch to aggregate large quantities of portal metadata to then visualize with React.js and D3.
- Created a divide-and-conquer tracing algorithm to recursively trace a provenance graph of files and the workflow runs which generated them.
- Visualized file provenance graphs and workflow pipelines – defined using CWLs – on the front-end with React and selected D3 functions (see portfolio).
- Trained and helped on-board new employees in front-end development and iteration with React.js.
- Fully open-source and available at github.com/4dn-dcic/fourfront.
- Led development on a cross-platform application in React Native to connect real estate agents with purchasers.
- Developed a web front-end in React.js as first step and prototype for mobile application design (see portfolio).
- Iterated on mobile app design with feedback from shareholders.
- Developed basic API using Python3 and MongoDB NoSQL DB.
- Utilized WebSockets with pub-sub for real-time agent-buyer chatting, using a Python3 Tornado server.
2011 - 2016
- Oversight, design (partial), development, and maintenance of viewpointkiosks.com (see portfolio).
- Designed, planned, developed, and extended functionality & UX of various web applications and sites, including ones based on or integrating with CMSs such as Drupal and Bolt.
- Iterated on own and others’ code for performance, maintainability, and reusability; documented code.
- Contribution to design & development of company websites incl. aspects of ics.com and Qt DevDays 2014 & 2015 Roadshow @ qtdeveloperdays.com (see portfolio).
- Served in all roles (differing per project) of designing, prototyping, implementing, iterating, and testing user experiences & interfaces for web, mobile, tablet, and desktop applications, including those geared for Windows (with .NET/XAML) and those meant to be portable across platforms (with Qt & QML framework).
- In the course of work or on own time, effectively learned, applied, and/or presented front-end & back-end technologies to own and other teams including Canvas, WebGL (+ Three.JS and other frameworks), interactive SVGs, RESTful AJAX, RequestAnimationFrame, Redis, Bolt CMS, analytics tracking methods, etc.
- Helped to plan and implement agile iterative design-process-based workflows for effectively meeting project goals and requirements while avoiding common pitfalls such as changing project requirements.
- Helped to research and analyse different strategies, technologies, and software to advise managers, other developers, and designers in finding better options or solutions in context of available skills and resources.
- Iterated through interface design, style, components, and graphic elements for embedded, mobile, and web applications.
- Drafted, modeled, rendered, and composited scenes of proposed bio-fuel solar facilities for marketing visualization; learning and applying open-source software such as BRL-CAD, Blender, Inkscape, and GIMP.
Skills & Experience
- 6+ years experience writing production-quality front-end JS.
- 4+ years experience building front-ends/apps with React.js, incl. 3 months w/ React Native.
- Building & extending professional, personal, & acadamic JS-based or JS-heavy web sites and applications.
- Building & reusing portable libraries and components in course of work.
- Experience with libraries & frameworks including Backbone.js, ES6/ES2015 with Webpack, TypeScript, lodash/Underscore, Interactive SVGs & HTML5 Canvas, D3.js, Babylon.js and three.js (WebGL), (efficient) jQuery, Masonry, Google Maps JS API, Leaflets, and others.
- 12+ years exp. designing, developing, and administering web sites & applications, incl. personal & academic projects.
- Usage of responsive front-end frameworks such as Zurb’s Foundation and Bootstrap.
- Using and extending template engines such as Twig (PHP) and Jinja2 (Python).
- Deep understanding of the Document Object Model (DOM), CSS3 (incl. transforms & animations).
- 5+ years exp. with Python, including web frameworks such as Pyramid, Flask, & Bottle to create horizontally-scalable hybrid & single-page web applications and RESTful APIs (for usage with mobile applications); Tornado for WebSockets.
- 5 years experience with PHP, including frameworks such as Symfony2, Silex, & DBALs such as Doctrine.
- Building custom content-management systems (CMSs) & web applications; extending CMSs (Drupal, Bolt) through module development - both own/custom and contribution to open source projects.
- 2+ years exp. with C# (incl. Windows Apps & academic); academic experience with Java (distributed — sockets & CORBA).
Designing & programming for scalability, performance, and long-term maintainability.
- Leveraging PaaS & IaaS solutions (‘cloud computing’) for scaling application instances and storage including Red Hat’s OpenShift, Amazon Web Services (EC2, S3, EB, RDS), MongoLab, RedisLabs, and BackBlaze B2.
- Publish-subscribe using Redis for server-server communication; WebSockets for server-client notifications.
User Experience (UX/UI) Design
- 3+ years experience including prototyping front-end & mobile interfaces.
Data modeling with NoSQL & relational databases
- MySQL (+ MariaDB, SQLite, PostgreSQL; SQL language), MongoDB, Redis, filesystem + text files (e.g. CSVs), and client storage (cookies, localStorage).
- Experience with ElasticSearch, including writing aggregation requests for large datasets and transforming responses for front-end visualization and creating API endpoint(s) for searching.
Visual Design, CAD, and 3D Modelling
- 6+ years experience with graphic design software including Adobe Photoshop, Inkscape, GIMP, Illustrator.
- 1-5 years experience in After Effects, Flash; modelling & rendering with Rhino, Blender, AutoCAD, 3ds Max, & Revit.
Version Control, basic DevOps proficiency
- IIS, Apache, and nginx; Git (+ GitHub, Bitbucket, GitLab/Gitorious); Mac, Linux & Windows as development and production environments; SFTP & SSH CLI (PuTTY); Remote Desktop Connection (RDP), routing and forwarding; Visual Studio, Notepad++, Eclipse.
Bachelor of Design Studies in Digital Design & Visualization, May 2015.
- Awards: Degree Project Commendation and Distinction in Practice.
- Thesis Project: “Building a Citizen-Centric E-Participation Platform,” book available at https://akb.productions/documents/thesis.pdf.
Spring 2013 - Spring 2014
- Computer Science courses (incl. EconCS & Windows Application Development)
Fall 2013 - Fall 2014
- Courses in Organizational Behavior & Development and Financial Reporting Analysis
- 800/600/650 Math/Reading/Writing SAT Scores (2008)
Last updated on Saturday, November 10th, 2018. Ask for code samples and/or references.